Designer, maker and facilitator with over 20 years experience of professional and community practice. Originally trained in Theatre Design but through my community arts practice, my interest in fibre art grew and a desire to develop personal artwork. Member of Prism Contemporary Textiles Collective, Society for Embroidered Work, Precious Collective and Society of British Theatre Design.
Through three-dimensional textiles and photography, I investigate how things change appearance & shape over time, not just eroding or decaying but also new layers of growth, giving interesting juxtapositions of structure and colour. I document and respond to the changes I see in the world around me and make work using old clothes and scrap materials for both economic & ecological sustainability.
Recent sculptural work highlights the issue of plastic pollution and climate change. It invites us to consider the packaging that we use and discard on a daily basis; objects such as drinks bottles that are so lightweight and seem so insignificant that we barely notice them. Casting them in cement to make them heavy and solid, I hope to convey the weight of the issue and the permanence of these disposables. The incorporation of detailed embroidery touches upon the way our waste becomes subsumed into the natural world around us.
How I Make my Work:
My sculptures are formed using a combination of embellishing and embroidery to create coastal inspired textures, blending a variety of recycled fabrics to create subtle variations in tone. I stitch the resulting textiles inside waste plastic that I use to cast true to life pieces with cement, giving a distinct contrast between the manmade structure of the packaging and the soft natural textures. training
- MA Textiles in Practice, Manchester School of Art, 2016-18
- BA(Hons) Theatre Design, Nottingham Trent University, 1992-95
- Foundation Diploma in Art & Design, Nottingham Trent University, 1991-92
- Arts Award Adviser training, Bronze & Silver (2011) + Discover & Explore (2014)
- Mixed Media Textiles in Three Dimensions (2022) Goddard, A. Batsford Books.
- 5 Mixed Media Textile Artists (2022), TextileArtist.org (online)
- In The Studio With… (2021), The Art PA (online)
- Exploring Artist Practice Through a Global Pandemic (2021) Dispensary Gallery.
- aAh! Magazine, Food issue (2020), edited by Nathalie Carragher
- Festival of Quilts Magazine (2020)
- There’s No Place Like Home (2020) edited by Charlotte Rudd
- Envision Arts Magazine vol.3 (2020) edited by Cochran, G.
- Anthropocene (2108) edited by Hodgson, E.
- Spark #8, Plastic Oceans (2023), Oldham Gallery, Manchester.
- Show, See, Say (2019), Castlefield Gallery, Manchester.
- Guest Speaker (2019), Chelford & North Cheshire Embroiderers Guild, Chelford.
- People’s Choice, Landscapes exhibition, Open Gallery (2022)
- Comme Ca x AWOL Open, winner (2022)
- Sustainability First Art Prize, second place (2021)
- Juror’s Choice, Castle Park Arts Open. (2020)
- Shortlist for Vlieseline Fine Art Textile Award (2020)
- Runner Up (artists) OT Creative Lockdown prize (2020)
- Best in Show, Terra & Tide group online exhibition curated by Envision Arts (2019)
- Warped, Prism Contemporary Textiles Collective, Art Pavilion, Mile End, London.
- In Manchester, Cotton On Mcr Open, juried group exhibition, Saul Hay gallery, Manchester.
- Climate Matters, curated by Jackie Sewell, The Bridge Gallery, Tynemouth Metro Station.
- Climate. Emergency. Hope. Group exhibition curated by young people, Turnpike Gallery, Leigh.
- Nature’s Endurance, group exhibition curated by Sammi Lukic-Scott, Artworks, Halifax.
- Artist of the Month, Buy The Kilo, Tynemouth.
- Warrington Contemporary Arts Festival Open 2022, juried group exhibition, Warrington Museum & Art Gallery.
- Landscape, selected group exhibition, Open Gallery, Halifax. (winner public choice award)
- Design Nation Graduate Showcase, Heart Gallery, Hebden Bridge.
- Beyond Landscapes, group exhibition curated by Cotton On Creative, Saul Hay gallery, Manchester.
- In Manchester, Cotton On Mcr Open, juried group exhibition, 100 Barbirolli Sq, Manchester.
- Comme Ca x AWOL Open shortlist, juried group exhibition, Comme Ca Gallery, AWOL Studios, Manchester.
- Fifty Bees 5, group exhibition of commissioned work, selected by Lydia Needle, ACE Arts, Somerton.
- Untold, Prism Contemporary Textiles Collective, Art Pavilion, Mile End, London.
- In Search of Possibilities, Prism Contemporary Textiles Collective, Art Pavilion, Mile End, London.
- In The Open, selected group exhibition, Ryedale Folk Museum & Art Gallery.
- Small World, commissioned artist, New Mills Arts Festival, Derbyshire.
- Lost and Found, selected online group exhibition, Vacant Museum.
- Cupola 30, group exhibition curated by Graham Shapley, Cupola Gallery, Sheffield.
- Vlieseline Fine Art Textile Award 2020 shortlist, Festival of Quilts, NEC, Birmingham.
- English Riviera Summer Open, group exhibition, curated by Julie and Jacob Brandon, Artizan Gallery, Torquay.
- Outside In, online group exhibition, curated by Roisin Delaney.
- Leeds Summer Open, online group exhibition, curated by Courtney Spencer.
- Associates in Lockdown, group exhibition of Arc Centre associate artists, Art Steps virtual gallery.
- In Manchester, Cotton On Manchester Open, Saul Hay gallery, Manchester.
- Resolution, Technically Brilliant gallery, Warrington.
- Small Works, Artizan gallery, Torquay.
- Tracks and Traces, Air Gallery, selected group exhibition, Art Steps virtual gallery.
- Fragments, Pragmata Collective, online exhibition.
- Dispose to Reuse, Eco Aware art gallery, online exhibition.
- Haus a Rest, Issue 8 – Environment, online selected exhibition curated by Jenna Fox.
- Castle Park Arts Open, selected group exhibition, Castle Park Arts Centre, Frodsham. (Juror’s Choice award)
- Warrington Open, juried group exhibition curated by Marie Jones, Warrington Museum & Art Gallery.
- The Litter You Leave, Chorlton Virtual Arts Festival, Art Steps virtual gallery.
- Vlieseline Fine Art Textile Award shortlist, Festival of Quilts (online 2020)
- So Why Not Do It Again, group online exhibition curated by Cultivate gallery
- Covent-19, online group exhibition, curated by Faryl Arif & Nadin Hassan
- Threaded II, group online exhibition of fine art fibre art curated by Envision Arts.
- In Search of (im)Possibilities, Prism Contemporary Textiles Collective, online due to lockdown.
- T is for Textiles, invited exhibition curated by John Stokes, Rheged Gallery, Penrith.
- The Future is…, selected group exhibition curated by Convenience Gallery at Bloom Building, Birkenhead.
- 2020 Vision, selected group exhibition curated by Technically Brilliant, Warrington.
- Manchester Open 2020, selected group exhibition curated by Bren O’Callaghan, HOME, Manchester.
- Depictions of Living, group exhibition of work exploring climate issues curated by Samuel Ivan Roberts and Roshanak (Roshi) Khakban. Art Pavilion, Mile End, London
- Staging Places, SBTD exhibition, V&A Museum, London (extended from 2019). Exhibition transferred to National Centre for Craft & Design, Sleaford.
- Waste of Our World, group exhibition of environmental art curated by Rathbone studios & gallery, Birkenhead.
- Fragility, group exhibition by PrismContemporary Textiles Collective, Hoxton Arches, London and RBSA, Birmingham.
- Bankley Open 2019, selected by Bankley Studios & Gallery, Manchester.
- Beached, Art in Windows, 5 Bold Place, Liverpool.
- Buy Better, Buy The Kilo, Tynemouth.
- Terra & Tide group online exhibition curated by Envision Arts. Winner of Best in Show.
- Staging Places, SBTD exhibition, V&A Museum, London
- Micro, a group exhibition of pieces under 20 x 20 x20cm curated by AIR Gallery, Altrincham.
- Here & Now, a group exhibition of contemporary jewellery curated by Marketplace Studios, Stockport.
- Thoughtful Planet 2, group exhibition of environmental art curated by Thought Foundation, Birtley.
- Brownfield Research Centre, group exhibition, Airspace Gallery, Stoke.
- London Road Project, group exhibition responding to London Road Fire Station, Plant Noma, Manchester.
- Thresholds: The Adjacent Possible, group exhibition curated by Not Just Collective, Tapestry, Liverpool.
- Time, exhibition of textiles & photography with Simone Frater-Russell, Arc centre, Stockport.
- Blowing a Gail, group exhibition curated by Womanstanley, Old Town House, Warrington.
- Loss/Inheritance , group exhibition including workshop exploring ageing, Manchester Craft Centre.
- WORK:REST:PLAY, group exhibition, Marketplace Studios, Stockport.
- Make Anything, Manchester Makers Collective, Fred Aldous window, Manchester.
- Over The Kitchen Table, Mothers Who Make pop-up exhibition, PUSH Festival, HOME, Manchester.
- 2016-22 : Make collection, Manchester Makers Collective commission, The Study, Manchester Museum.
- 2016 : Colour Pop, Manchester Makers Collective, Royal Exchange Craft Centre, Manchester.
- 2015 : Make/Believe, SBTD exhibition, Nottingham Trent University.
- 2011 : Transformation & Revelation, SBTD exhibition, Welsh College of Speech & Drama, Cardiff.
- 2007 : Collaborators, SBTD exhibition, Nottingham Trent University.
- 2003 : 2D>3D, SBTD exhibition, Millennium Galleries, Sheffield. (also on education team)
- 2019: Five Ways to Wellbeing, series of textile banners for Beacon Counselling designed through workshops.
- 2018: Affirmations, installation for live art piece by Proud & Loud Arts, Manchester Art Gallery plus tour.-
- 2013: Seasons, relief mural, Lever Gardens sheltered housing scheme, Bolton@Home.
- 2011: Zany/Calm, Textile banners for session rooms, designed through workshops, 42nd Street, Manchester.
- 2004: Happy Times, Painted Mural, Miles Platting Library, Groundwork.
- 2004: Happy 21st, Birthday Cake sculpture, Opening ceremony, Pittenweem Arts Festival.
- 2002: Christmas Installations, textiles & lanterns, Pyramid Centre, Warrington.
community exhibitions – lead artist/design mentor
- 2022 Views of Stalybridge, installation of textile art made in schools, Civic Hall, Stalybridge.
- 2021 Lost Words Bolton, workshops creating collaborative quilt, Breightmet Library.
- 2016/17: Cells, live art pieces exploring disability & stigma, Proud & Loud Arts, Manchester Art Gallery plus tour.
- 2014: Water Music project, public art with schools, inspired by Bridgewater Canal, Bridgewater Hall, Manchester.
- 2012: Seasonal Hymns textile art collection, Text into Textile project, Salvation Army church, Bolton South.
- 2011: Home, collection of birdhouses by community groups, opening of new 42nd Street building, Manchester.
- 2008: Ruth, dolls exploring identity made with women of non-British origin, Waterside Arts Centre, Manchester.
Workshops for all ages in wide range of visual arts – textile art, banner making, sewing skills, theatre design, prop making, costumes, masks, puppets, carnival arts, sculpture. Companies/projects include Bolton@Home, Bridgewater Hall, CAMHS, ARC Centre, Creative Curve, Manchester Council, Salford Council, Teach UK, Groundwork, Rainbow Haven, Alpha Plus, MAP, Creative Partnerships, Manchester PRU, Halle, Society British Theatre Designers, Warrington Borough Council, Bolton Lads & Girls Club & various primary & secondary schools.
Design in community theatre & video projects for Proud & Loud, DIY Theatre Company, Contact Young Actors Company, Aqueous Humour, Activ8, M6 Theatre, Burnley Youth Theatre, Box of Frogs, High Peak Arts and TIPP.
References are available upon request.